Monday, May 17, 2010

Blessed Are the Beaked, for They Shall Inherit the Earth

Dan Olson came over. He seemed open-minded, and we had a honest talk. I told him that I’d talked to my neighbor directly. (As a sidenote, I also spoke to another neighbor yesterday; I approached her with some trepidation since she will call a spade a spade. Anyhoo, she said she hasn’t ever smelled or had a problem with the chickens.) He seemed pleased and said that that often helps in neighbor complaints. We stood by the coop and talked for nearly 20 minutes. I pointed out where I’ve planted some mock orange and told him I am willing to grow lavender around the coop, too. I gave him a rundown of the upkeep we do: rake out the poop weekly, compost it, and add fresh pine shaving. And twice a year, I rake their run (outdoor area) down to the dirt, shop vac out the coop and bleach the hooey out of it. I then asked him what the ordinance says regarding chickens and told him I was confused about the messages I was getting. Here’s the deal: the code was written thirty-ish years ago when people “didn’t do this sort of thing” so the code is not explicit about chickens so they (City) are interpreting it as best as they can. He said that he’d told me that chickens were not permitted because he interprets chickens as being agricultural and agriculture as not being allowed—save crops and forestry—in the residential zones of town. If, however, he looked at another part of the muni code, residents of Northfield may have three animals. More than that requires a permit from the City Council. Since we have a dog and a cat, I asked if I needed to request a permit. He said I could just wait on that at this time. For now, he said we should try to solve the smell problem. And his assessment of that problem? “While I’m no expert in chickens or what they should smell like, I don’t really smell anything.” As confetti and balloons dropped from the sky and I stepped up to the podium to accept my medal, he cut my celebration short by adding that my neighbor told him it was in the hot summer months that it was really noticeable. I wanted to yell “THE EMPORER HAS NO CLOTHES!” but refrained instead asking what he thought would help, short of evicting the chickens. He thought I should try cleaning up the feces (yes, feces—it was kinda cute) twice per week during the summer months. He asked if I was willing to do that.


After all this fuss and stress and worry, he wants to know if I can swing another couple minutes each week composting my chickens’ poop?!


“Sure thing. That’s no problem, Dan.”


Queue the balloons and confetti. Look for me on a Wheaties box in a store near you.

7 comments:

  1. First of all, CONGRATULATIONS... I think I saw some of the balloons flying over this way... and, do you think you could compost that confetti in the chicken coop?
    Secondly, excellent writing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Composting the confetti? Brilliant. ;-) Thanks for the compliment; I'm having fun writing it and it's nice to know that at least one other person reads it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now can you please run for Governor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy- I would have to expand my platform. I think running for Governor on a pro-chicken agenda is a bit narrow. ;-) Still, it would be cool to keep chickens at the Governor's mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ROCK! And I have to second Chris's statement on your writing skills! We have read/recorded news stories for the Blind and have noticed a real decline in writing abilities in newspapers... I read most of your blog to my husband and it's top notch!
    Also, we just got 8 of Regi's chickens recently (we're in Dundas though...) and I was shocked that someone would complain about only three! I've been to his place and it doesn't smell bad at all. So though I'm sorry about the problems you've had, I'm glad too because of the public discussion you've initiated.
    Hope we meet someday!
    Julie

    P.S. LOVED your comments about the perfumed ladies! They annoy my asthma something horrible... but chickens are fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Julie. It's nice to hear that you enjoy my writing. (You can thank Richard Latham, English teacher extraordinaire, for my love of the semi-colon and my exuberant use of commas.) With you, Christine and my mom, I've got THREE confirmed readers. Oprah will be calling anyday now to book me for her show.

    I, too, hope this can start some public discussion about chicken keeping. I'm also excited to get to know some of my fellow chicken-keeping folk.

    ReplyDelete